Monday, July 4, 2016

Writing

Writing is a difficult process. How true is that? Certainly everyone can write, but what purpose does it serve? Is it true that a writer always needs a reader? What is the best way to write? What makes a good writer? Would a condensation of years of thoughts into one single collection of poetry be a better body of work? Compared to someone who puts out publication all the time? Can an unpublished writer be a good writer? I don't know. Writing takes practice. How much time are we given to practise each day, each week, each month, each year? Given the pace of life here, any tinge of potential would be buried. Given the saturation of our routines and schedules, how are we supposed to explore the story in us? I see lots of people writing. They might not put out the best works but they are writing. I commend them for their efforts. Some people take decades to put out one single story that can move mountains. I commend them for their efforts. What kind of writer am I. The twenties, is indeed a time for exploration. What is my genre, I wonder? I would think poets, playwrights, novelists, screenwriters, essayists are the literary equivalents of painters, sculptors, videographers, cinematographers, etc. The medium is different but they each have their niche. Some people are giants in the creation of novels, but when it comes to a drama, they fall flat. I would think poets and novelists are two ends of a spectrum. One requires the precision of a surgeon's scalpel, while the other demands the security of excessive bandage. Musings. If you've seen your story appear elsewhere, would you keep writing? Would you still venture into the materialisation of a story already told?

I am still waiting for an untold story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment